Embracing More Prevention Options With Effective Results
Visit us on Facebook!
City Council votes not to adopt Code of Ethics for Council Members
May 20, 2013 - Hot Springs City Council voted not to adopt Resolution Establishing the Ethical Obligations of City Council Members even after removing an entire page of stipulations and putting up a revised version on May 20th for a second vote. One of the items on the initial Code of Ethics taken to City Council on April 15th was:
“Every Council member shall respect and treat professionally all officers and employees of the City. No individual Council member shall pressure, threaten, or intimidate, directly or indirectly, any officer or employee, or any other Council member to do a certain thing or act a certain way.”
So basically if we, as the voting public, say that is ok, we are saying that city employees and officers have to take whatever a councilman “dishes out” even if it is done in a threatening manner. I can’t tell you on how many occasions I have gone to City Hall to get policy or handbook information and have been told the one I have is outdated. So my question is who knows the rules? When someone points out a discrepancy in current policy with how city affairs are handled it appears to me the Council just repeals that resolution or ordinance. So does that mean in all actuality there are no rules or regulations that must be adhered to or followed?
- Val Henry
Before checking in on prevention news could you please take a moment to complete a short survey - https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZNQFZ9N
Synthetic Drugs ...learn more
MARIJUANA NEWS (see below)
WA students..Pot more popular than cigarettes!
underage drinking (see below)
Pine Ridge Tribe Is At Breaking Point Over Alcohol
Underage Drinking - A Bigger Issue Than Parents or Community Members Often Realize!! - Underage Drinking Accident-Rapid City 02-17-2013
Underage Drinking Concentrating on Small Number of Brands ... First survey of its kind..
Social Host Bill Updates
1. February 04, 2013 - Social Host Bill Defeated Again
2. February 02, 2013 - Charges dismissed against former Harrisburg School
3. January 28, 2013 - Sen. Lucas has introduced a new social host bill - this time, without the term "social host". Paul Bachand, SD States Attorneys Association helped draft the bill. It is actually quite similar to the current nuisance law, but Paul and Sen. Lucas feel that this bill's wording will address the loopholes in the nuisance law. Sen. Lucas got 39 co-sponsors for this bill - he said it took him just a couple of hours on Friday afternoon to get that much support!!
4. January 23, 2013 - Why the SD Social Host Bill was defeated.
Physician Advice to Adolescents About
Drinking & Other Health Behaviors.....click here
· Monthly meetings: 1st Wednesday of the month. March Meeting Canceled -Next meeting is April 3rd at Simco Plaza Conference Room·
View our Purpose, Mission Statement and Vision: Purpose-mission-vision.doc
EMPOWER Coalition of the Southern Hills (ECOSH) is a rapidly growing community prevention coalition. Over the past two years we have grown into a broad-based, grassroots coalition and are expanding our prevention efforts thoughout the Southern Hills.
Every community, no matter where it is located, has its own specific set of issues and problems and we are no different. The nature of the problems vary from place to place, such as one community may be thriving economically versus another that desperately needs low-income housing. While the issues may change, the need to deal with them remains the same. ECOSH was founded to unite community strengths/resources and bring together to solve community problems.